Today is CodeMonkey's birthday, and I promised to make him anything he wanted for a birthday dinner. He opted for Wonton Soup, Chow Mein and Coconut Ice Cream. Everything was tasty, but the ice cream was fantastic. Creamy, coconutty, rich... I ended up making up a recipe since I couldn't find certain ingredients.
1 19 oz can of unsweetened coconut cream (I used Amoy brand)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Set up a double boiler on high heat. Combine all ingredients into the boiler and whisk them together.
2. Stir constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a bowl and place in the freezer for two hours.
3. Prepare the ice cream maker per the manufacturer's instructions. Remove the ice cream base from the freezer. It will be clumpy. Wisk until smooth.
4. Pour the ice cream base into the ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
5. If you aren't serving the ice cream immediately, store it in the freezer, where it will continue to harden. Serve with fruit or shredded coconut on top.
ETA: This ice cream, while delicious does not keep. Eat it all the day it is made, as it freezes into a sort of sad ice-cream brick otherwise.