Thursday, August 16, 2012

Illness is fun!

I've been working full time for a few years, and the same issues keep cropping up.

I'm chronically ill, and have been since my teens. The specific illness isn't that important. It's not "stop work and go on disability" severe. I can work, but if I work, I can't do anything else.  At least once or twice a week, I come home and go straight to bed. Doing anything in the evenings is almost impossible. I'm always tired, and when I wake up, it's like I spent the night being beaten by mallets.

I managed well enough when I worked and lived with my parents. I paid them rent, and my mother did the housework, including cooking and laundry. Living on my own, and having a husband has made things so much harder.

CodeMonkey's job requires very, very long hours and he freelances besides, so the brunt of the housework falls to me. I'm constantly struggling to find a balance and keep the house running. There are days when I am such a mess I end up eating all three meals out, which is expensive. Then I'm eating crap, which makes me feel worse, which makes me less functional, etc. And there are times when I try to be THE ULTIMATE DOMESTIC GODDESS. That lasts about 3 days. Life is really nice for tho three days, and the food is fantastic, but then I'm in worse shape than before, completely exhausted and demoralized.

So I'm shooting for balance this coming week. We eat 42 meals a week. Two people, three meals a day, seven days in a week. I want to make 21 of those meals. That's a goal I might actually be able to manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment