Sunday, January 27, 2013

Marrying Young

CodeMonkey and I married 3 years ago. He was still in college, and I was a new graduate. It remains a decision I would make again without hesitation. I'm glad I married young, I'm happy to be his wife, and I'm grateful I have him beside me as we navigate out twenties.

That being said, I had no idea how weird marrying young would make me. Three years ago everyone just assumed I was pregnant, or that we were doing it for the green card. My coworkers have children my age and often treat me like I'm some sort of odd anthropological artifact. My age mates think the early marriage thing is either endearing or absolutely crazy. Sometimes both. While I never particularly wanted to spend my twenties single (I never thought about it one way or another) I am undeniably missing out on the "normal" experience of people my age.

I have always been an odd duck, but I feel like each choice I'm making as an adult is taking me further away from being normal, leaving me more isolated. Being sick left me without a college social life. Then I married young. If I have children before my peer group, I think it may be the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. I don't know what to do about any of this, because aside from the loneliness, I am very content.

No comments:

Post a Comment