Monday, December 24, 2012

Cookie Overkill

If you like white chocolate, run, don't walk, to your nearest Trader Joe's. As a seasonal item, they are selling 10 oz. bags of white chocolate chips for $2. This is real honest-to-god-made-with-cocoa-butter chocolate chips, and every other brand on the market has replaced the cocoa butter with hydrogenated oils. Even the high end brands (I'm looking at you, Ghiradelli). I bought five bags.

Once you have your chocolate chips (you can also substitute chopped white chocolate), you can make these white chocolate oatmeal cookies. Just please, take it from me, don't triple the recipe.

See, last week one of the departments threw an informal holiday shindig. Most of my coworkers gave money to the organizer, but I opted to bake instead, because I am a glutton for punishment. Since the recipe said it made two dozen cookies, I figured I could triple it, have enough for the party, enough for eating over the weekend, and enough to stash a few in the freezer for the next time we have surprise house guests. Only I'm a bit of an idiot, and didn't realize the folks at Smitten Kitchen and Cooks Illustrated make their cookies quite a bit larger than I do. Twice as big, in fact. So, a slight miscalculation there.

The second miscalculation was that my KitchenAid could handle that much cookie dough. It couldn't, and I ended up hand mixing seven and a half cups of oatmeal and eighteen ounces of chopped chocolate into the dough. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking either.

So instead of making six dozen cookies on a weeknight, I made twelve dozen. Whoops. On the bright side, the cookies are fantastic. All the ones I brought to the party disappeared before I got any and people kept complimenting me on them. When you bite into them, they shatter into this mess of sweet-salty oatmeal crumbs. I stashed all the excess cookies in the freezer, but I think CodeMonkey and I have both been smuggling them out, one at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment