Recently I decided to try out the broiler function on my stove, and it's life-changing. Fish in 8 minutes! Crispy vegetables! Perfectly made polenta! It's like something out of an infomercial and it was already in my kitchen.
The current favorite dish is crispy zucchini, which I happened on after buying 5 zucchini for a dollar.
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1. Grease an 8x8 baking dish or cast iron skillet. (I use the skillet.)
2. Slice the zucchini into 1/4" rounds and arrange in a single layer in the pan.
3. Mix together the parmesan and panko, adding pepper to taste.
4. Drizzle the zucchini with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle the panko mixture over the zucchini.
5. Broil until the panko is browned; about 6 minutes. Serve immediately.
The crunch factor on this is amazing. It seems to go with almost everything we eat, and I've been serving it alongside a meat and vegetable instead of pasta, rice or potatoes most evenings. It's even become a last minute snack a few times. The panko Parmesan mixture also holds its own as a breading for fish and meat as well.